Minutes of the Board of Governors Meeting of 20 September 2018
Present: Mr. D. Benham, Jr., Mr. T. Berkel, Mr. R. Congdon, Mr. A. Gilligan, Mr. R. Kelly, Mr. B. Leary, Mr. B. Riva, Mr. T. Smith, Mr. B. Tighe, Mrs. D. Whalen Absent: Mr. J. Cleaveland, Mr. M. Emprimo, Mr. D. Farrell
In Attendance: Ms. J. VanDeusen, Mr. Sullivan, Mrs. Connelly
1. The Meeting was called to order at 6:30 PM o’clock, Mr. President Dick Kelly presiding.
2. Mr. Kelly next requested and received approval from the Board of the Minutes of the Governor’s (Pilot) meeting of 24 August 2018.
3. Mr. Kelly made mention of and formally welcomed all of the newly elected Governors, including a demotic returnee, Mr. T. Smith, who quipped that his third such service may be the charm.
4. Treasurer’s Report: In the absence of Mr. Treasurer Joe Cleaveland, the monthly flash sheet was distributed. Mr. Kelly noted the establishment of a finance working group lead by Mr. Cleaveland that will work to develop an elegant clarity to the Club’s finances so that the Governors can respond to member questions on budgets and operations to provide somewhat more transparency, thus making future financial plans and priorities better understood. Mr. Kelly noted that this and other efforts will help the Club to keep pace with the environment facing the Club with respect to revenues, recruitment, operations and capital improvements.
5. Committee Reports:
a. House: A successful handoff has been made from Mr. B. Hull to Mrs. D. Whalen. Mrs. Whalen noted that the closure and wrap-up of the kitchen is nigh, but the Club will finish with a flourish of four outings and a wedding. She and her committee are soon to discuss House priorities for the over-winter and 2019 season.
b. Greens: Mr. Chairman, Vice President Leary said the golf course is in fine nick for the fall shoulder season and encouraged members to take advantage of our conditions on any of the temperate fall days nature may bequeath.
c. Golf: Mr. Kelly noted the Fall Member Guest was most successful with spirited good fun on the course and an excellent job by staff off the course with hearty fare and grog making for a pleasant time for all. Mr. R. Congdon noted that the Senior Club Championship would be played on September 22 & 23 (rain delayed) and he and Mr. Sullivan noted that the Club’s finale “Field Day” is set for September 30 at 10:00 AM o’clock with refreshments to follow.
d. Pool: None
e. Membership: No Report
f. Tennis: The courts will remain open till they become unplayable. Mr. Liviu Mancas, Tennis Professional will be on station till 30 September.
6. Old Business:
a. Mr. Kelly noted that he will be announcing Committee appointments in October.
b. The Strategic Task Force reported out a first set of ideas that have popped out of its initial set of meetings with Committees and Department heads, referring all tactical ideas that surfaced to the several committees. Most of these are ideas that can be considered as part of the regular budget cycle plans of the committees. Several of them contribute to the long range strategy of “Member Experience” but can be considered in the nearer term. The Task force will continue its work of collecting information and getting things, “down on paper.” Most of the long range ideas and concepts captured thus far are well known to many. The task now is to develop cost ranges and prioritize many capital projects, assemble and analyze the demographics of the clubs roster, and other efforts that will help the Club understand its future objectives in more detail.
7. New Business: The Governors heard gracious thank you notes from beneficiaries for previous promotional gift certificates for charitable contribution. They were: The Berkshire Botanical Garden and Jacob’s Pillow.
8. The next meeting of the Board of Governors will be Thursday 18 October 2018 at 6:30 PM. Mr. Kelly advised the Governors that they would meet the third Thursday of the month with few exceptions, on an ongoing basis for planning purposes. It was noted that meetings will be ‘penciled in’ for Thursday 18 October 2018, Thursday 15 November 2018, and Thursday 13 December 2018 to round out the year, the last of which shall be the 2019 Budget Session.
9. There being no further business before the Board of Governors, the meeting adjourned: 7:14 PM o’clock.
Thomas Berkel, Secretary