Conditional Minutes of the 122nd Meeting of the Members of Wyantenuck Country Club
1. The Meeting was held on Friday, August 25, 2017 at the Club in the Main Room on West Sheffield Road at eight o’clock in the evening.
2. Present: Mr. D. Benham, Jr., Mr. T. Berkel, Mr. R. Congdon, Mr. D. Farrell, Mr. B. Hull, Mr. T. Kinne, Mr. R. Kelly, Mr. B. Leary, Mr. B. Riva, Mrs. Whalen, Ms. L. Yeager. Absent: Mr. J. Cleaveland, Ms. K. McCormick, Mr. P. Fasano. In Attendance: Ms. J. VanDeusen, Mrs. D. Benham (Pool Chair), Mrs. Sharon Connelly (Redfield Chair), and members.
3. The 122nd Annual Meeting of the Members of Wyantenuck Country Club was called to order at 8:00 PM o’clock, President Rich Congdon presiding.
4. Mr. Congdon requested a moment of silence for remembrance of those who passed away during the last year.
5. The Minutes of the 121st Annual Meeting of the Members were read and upon motion accepted.
6. Treasurer’s Report: In the absence of Mr. Treasurer Cleaveland, the Treasurer’s report was read. All financial statements for the period ended 31 July 2017 are available in the office. These statements include comparisons to budget along with previous years totals. All annual, quarterly and monthly tax related forms have been filed with the appropriate local, state, and federal agencies. Mr. Cleaveland extended his thanks to Ms. VanDeusen for constant assistance, and to the Committee Chairs for their hard work, and the loyalty of the Members, all of which made for the successful management of Treasury operations.
7. Committee Reports: The several Committee reports were delivered by the Chairs or by Committee members or Board members. The reports were Men’s Golf, Tennis, Pool, Men’s Four Ball, Redfield Committee, Ladies Golf, Greens, House, and the Membership Committee. Mr. Congdon thanked the several presenters and the respective Committees and their Chairs. The reports reflected the Club’s usual efforts at planned upkeep of the Club House, the new furniture and fixtures round the pool, and continuous improvement efforts across the several departments. It was noted that it is due to the vigilance of our Committees and staff that we keep up our outstanding conditions on our Golf course and Tennis courts. The 2017 season was notable for a Tennis Camp and additional new Tennis members following a recruitment program effort. These gains were more than offset by a decrease in golf members, largely from attrition which was not fully back filled with new golf memberships in 2017. There was also a review of our current membership numbers and a recognition of the demographic factors facing this and other clubs in the western part of the Commonwealth. In a time of ever busy and scheduled lives of individuals and young families the Board took under advisement to make a special effort during the off-season to proactively create ideas to build the Club’s census going forward. Separately, the various Chairs extended their appreciation to Ms. VanDeusen, Mr. Sullivan, and Mr. Bacon.
8. Old Business: Mr. Congdon thanked all those giving time and talent to the Club and noted those Governors who were concluding their tenures on the Board; Mr. Tom Kinne and Ms. Liz Yeager, and the outgoing Nominating Committee Chair Mr. Scott Rote.
9. New Business: None
10. Upon motion, seconded and unanimously approved, it was resolved that; “all acts taken by the Board of Governors from the preceding year be ratified and confirmed by the membership.”
11. Election of Officers: The Secretary, reading from the Notice of Annual Meeting, reported that The Nominating Committee placed into nomination, each for a four year term on the Board of Governors: Mr. Dick Kelly, Mr. Matt Emprimo, and Mrs. Roslyn Dolber, for a three year term on the Nominating Committee, Mr. Clifford Twiss, and each for a one year term, Mr. Joseph Cleaveland as Treasurer, and Mr. Thomas Berkel as Secretary. There being no other slate presented, the Secretary, having recorded and submitted Member’s proxies, cast one vote for the slate.
12. Mr. Secretary Berkel, with echoed sentiments from the Board, recognized, lauded, and thanked Mr. Congdon for his tenure as President and the manner with which he directed the Board and the Club during a time when even small organizations like Wyantenuck are finding they must respond to an increasing number of regulations and business management situations.
13. The Board of Governors and Members having no further business, adjourned at 8:45 PM o’clock. Respectfully Submitted,
Thomas Berkel, Secretary
Minutes of the Board of Governors Pilot Meeting of 25 August 2017
Present: Mr. D. Benham, Jr., Mr. T. Berkel, Mr. R. Congdon, Mrs. R. Dolber, Mr. M. Emprimo, Mr. D. Farrell, Mr. R. Kelly, Mr. B. Hull, Mr. B. Leary, Mr. B. Riva, Mrs. D. Whalen
Absent: Mr. J. Cleaveland, Mr. P. Fasano, Ms. K. McCormick In Attendance: Ms. J. VanDeusen.
1. In accordance with Article IV, Section 1 of the By Laws the Pilot Meeting was called to order by Mr. Secretary Berkel, at 9:00 PM o’clock.
2. Mr. Berkel next requested and received approval from the Board of the Minutes of the Governor’s meeting of 28 June 2017.
3. Mr. Berkel then requested and received a motion from the Board, citing the recommendations of the Nominating Committee, for the election of Mr. Richard Kelly as President and Mr. Bernard Leary as Vice President. The motion was duly seconded. There being no other nominations from any Board of Governor, the Secretary asked for a vote. By a unanimous voice favoring those nominations, Mr. Kelly was elected President and Mr. Leary Vice President. (At this point Mr. Secretary Berkel ceded control of the meeting to Mr. President Kelly.)
4. Mr. Kelly welcomed the new members of the Board, and expressed appreciation for Mr. Congdon’s presence on the Board as an immediate past President and the continuity that will bring to the Board. He also reported that the Committee Chairs will be determined in the coming weeks and that the Board will step through that process at an upcoming session. Taking guidance from our By-Laws, the Committee Chairs will be transitioning at various points after the end of the 2017 season.
5. Old Business: None
6. New Business:
a. The Board reviewed and approved gift certificates and carts for four players to be used as fund raising items by the following organizations, all of which qualify under the Club’s policy for support to area charities and organizations:
i. St. Peter’s & St. Teresa of Calcutta Parrish
ii. The Stockbridge Church
iii. The Roeliff Jansen Library
iv. Civitan of Berkshire County
b. With congratulations from the Board of Governors, it accepted a nomination and approved pavers honoring Mike Kinne and Raymond and Muriel Muldorf.
c. The Governors referred to the Membership Committee certain requests to be reviewed and returned to the Board with recommendation.
d. Golf outing requests were tabled pending additional information and feedback from various department heads.
e. A letter was read to the Board of Governors from member Mr. Michael Schopp, who in a most remarkable written simplification of the logistics involved in the planning and execution of a wedding ceremony, requested the use of the area round the 9th green on the golf course as a site for his nuptials in July of 2018. The venue, having been so used before, and the Board of Governors being romantics at heart, approved the request with details to be ironed out. Based on the request and the timing of the event, there will be none but the briefest and most delightful disruptions of play.
7. The next meeting of the Board of Governors will be Thursday 28 September 2017 at 6:00 PM.
8. There being no further business before the Board of Governors, the meeting adjourned: 9:31 PM o’clock.
Thomas Berkel, Secretary