Conditional Minutes of the 123rd Meeting of the Members of Wyantenuck Country Club
The Meeting was held on Friday, August 24, 2018 at the Club in the Main Room on West Sheffield Road at eight o’clock in the evening.
Present: Mr. D. Benham, Jr., Mr. T. Berkel, Mr. R. Congdon, Mr. M. Emprimo, Mr. B. Hull, Mr. R. Kelly, Mr. B. Leary, Mrs. Whalen Absent: Mr. J. Cleaveland, Jr., Mrs. Dolber, Mr. D. Farrell, Ms. K. McCormick, Mr. B. Riva
In Attendance: Ms. J. VanDeusen, Mrs. D. Benham (Pool Chair), Mrs. Sharon Connelly (Redfield Chair), and members.
1. The 123rd Annual Meeting of the Members of Wyantenuck Country Club was called to order at 8:00 PM o’clock, President Dick Kelly presiding.
2. Mr. Kelly requested a moment of silence for remembrance of those who passed away during the last year.
3. The Minutes of the 122nd Annual Meeting of the Members were read and upon motion accepted.
4. Treasurer’s Report: In the absence of Mr. Treasurer Cleaveland, the Treasurer’s report was read. All financial statements for each month and for period ending in July, in addition to all tax forms and returns filed in compliance with all Statues and requirements are available in the office. All annual, quarterly and monthly tax related forms have been filed with the appropriate local, state, and federal agencies. Mr. Cleaveland extended his thanks to Ms. VanDeusen for constant assistance, and to the Committee Chairs for their hard work, and the loyalty of the Club’s active Membership, all of which aids Treasury operations.
5. Committee Reports: The several Committee reports were delivered by the Chairs or by Committee members or Board members. The reports were Men’s Golf, Tennis, Pool, Men’s Four Ball, Redfield Committee, Ladies Golf, Greens, House, and the Membership Committee. Mr. Kelly thanked the several presenters and the respective Committees and their Chairs. The reports reflected the Club’s usual and continuous improvement efforts across the several departments. It was noted that we kept up our outstanding conditions on our Golf course and Tennis courts. The 2018 season featured the addition of Tennis members and recruitment of golf members that helped in smoothing our roster after expected, normal attrition. It was further noted that the Pool enjoyed a smooth opening and an active season. The 115th Men’s Fourball and the 2018 Redfield Tournament were very successful with efforts to improve the player experience. The House upgraded selected equipment which sped service and enabled improved product delivery to diners. The Club navigated spotty weather, and various and sundry challenges to post a successful season, and anticipation for the Fall shoulder season was typically positive. Separately, the various Chairs extended their appreciation to Ms. VanDeusen, Mr. Sullivan, and Mr. Bacon. Mr. Kelly noted a wave of positive feedback from members and he expressed his appreciation for service on the Board of those rotating off: Mr. Peter Fasano, Mr. Bruce Hull, and Ms. Kate McCormick.
6. Old Business:There was a question about the idea of ground floor restrooms and the likelihood that they be reconsidered. Mr. Kelly noted that restrooms are a noted desire but reiterated the high cost and complex construction and regulatory issues of the recent exploration of the idea. He further stated that the convenience of the membership is top of mind and that if cost, structure, and timing could be aligned such a project would jump to a top priority.
7. New Business: Mr. Kelly noted two new items, first the appointment of a Long Range Task Force to build a framework for the Club to use as a guide for projects and to respond, as best as possible, to future challenges. Second, Mr. Kelly noted he has formed with Mr. Treasurer Cleaveland, a Finance Committee to enable the Club to be more responsive to financial issues as they might arise.
8. Upon motion, seconded and unanimously approved, it was resolved that; “all acts taken by the Board of Governors from the preceding year be ratified and confirmed by the membership.”
9. Election of Officers: The Secretary, reading from the Notice of Annual Meeting, reported that The Nominating Committee placed into nomination, each for a four year term on the Board of Governors: Mr. Terry Smith, Mr. Bill Tighe, and Mr. Aidan Gilligan; for a three year term on the Nominating Committee, Mr. Mike Kinne, and each for a one year term, Mr. Joseph Cleaveland as Treasurer, and Mr. Thomas Berkel as Secretary. There being no other slate presented, the Secretary, having recorded and submitted Member’s proxies, cast one vote for the slate.
10. The Board of Governors and Members having no further business, adjourned at 8:30 PM o’clock.
Thomas Berkel, Secretary
Minutes of the Board of Governors Pilot Meeting of 24 August 2018
Present: Mr. D. Benham, Jr., Mr. T. Berkel, Mr. R. Congdon, Mr. M. Emprimo, Mr. T. Smith, Mr. R. Kelly, Mr. A. Gilligan, Mr. B. Leary, Mrs. D. Whalen
Absent: Mr. J. Cleaveland, Mrs. R. Dolber, Mr. D. Farrell, Mr. B. Tighe, Mr. B. Riva. In Attendance: Ms. J. VanDeusen.
1. In accordance with Article IV, Section 1 of the By Laws the Pilot Meeting was called to order by Mr. Secretary Berkel, at 8:45 PM o’clock.
2. Mr. Berkel next requested and received approval from the Board of the Minutes of the Governor’s meeting of 23 May 2018.
3. Mr. Berkel then requested and received a motion from the Board, citing the recommendations of the Nominating Committee, for the election of Mr. Richard Kelly as President and Mr. Bernard Leary as Vice President. The motion was duly seconded. There being no other nominations from any Board of Governor, the Secretary asked for a vote. By a unanimous voice favoring those nominations, Mr. Kelly was elected President and Mr. Leary Vice President. (At this point Mr. Secretary Berkel ceded control of the meeting to Mr. President Kelly.)
4. Mr. Kelly welcomed the new members of the Board, reported that the Committee Chairs will be determined in the coming weeks and that the Board will step through that process at an upcoming session. Taking guidance from our By-Laws, the Committee Chairs will be transitioning at various points after the end of the 2018 season. Mr. Kelly thanked the Chairs for their efforts in 2017 leading into the 2018 season and for their selfless work throughout.
5. Old Business: None
6. New Business:
a. The Board reviewed and approved gift certificates and carts for four players to be used as fund raising items by the following organizations, all of which qualify under the Club’s policy for support to area charities and organizations:
i. St. Peter’s Parish
ii. Berkshire Botanical Garden
iii. Boys and Girls Clubs of the Berkshires
iv. Civitan Club of Pittsfield
b. A brief comment was made by Mr. Berkel that the Long Range Task Force has begun to develop its punch list of tasks and collect feedback and observations from department heads and Committees. He noted it is a long-term task but there has been a good start and excellent interest by the members (Mr. Andy Congdon, Mr. Aidan Gilligan, Mr. Steve Bernstein, Mrs. Donna Whalen, Mr. Mike Kinne).
7. The next meeting of the Board of Governors will be Thursday 20 September 2018 at 6:00 PM.
8. There being no further business before the Board of Governors, the meeting adjourned: 9:10 PM o’clock.
Thomas Berkel, Secretary